Custom Search

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, March 26, 2009

    Saucy

    Last night for enrichment night we had a real treat. A man in our Ward is a retired chef from several restaurants in Chicago, including some Country Clubs. He's studied under Classic American chefs, German chefs, and Italian chefs, and brings a little of each to the table. He so graciously agreed to host our cooking class, and wow, did we have a great time.

    He taught us how to make 3 simple pasta sauces from scratch. Easy stuff for him, but for some of us, me, it was nice to see that making it from scratch is almost easier than opening a bottle of some store brand.

    We had a marinara with chunks of peppers, cherry tomatoes, and onion. Yum! Although those of you that know me, know I would forgo the cherry tomatoes in place of perhaps mushrooms or even tofu.

    A dreamy easy garlic sauce. Perfect over shrimp or chicken, or just on it's own with some summer veggies on the side.

    And last but not least, my absolute favorite, an Alfredo sauce that would knock your socks off. This one I'm making tonight. How easy is this. Heavy cream, simmered, some parmesean cheese melting in it, add a little salt and pepper to taste, pour over pasta with chicken, steak, veggies, husband, whatever, and voila! Perfect dinner.

    I'll be sure and take pictures. I did make a yummy shrimp scampi on Sunday. I was in heaven. SugarDaddy was on the fence, he has shrimp issues that go back to the Sunday night visits with my parents and the shrimp had been sitting out all day. The kids, no way in heck were they touching the stuff. You know what that meant for me? Extra leftovers for lunch the next day! Yay!

    You might think I'm turning into a Top Chef, and trust me, sometimes I think I am, but then I pull out a frozen pizza or a box of Mac n Cheese, and am humbled again. I'm still just me.

    Saucy.


    Photobucket

    8 Response(s):

    Nikki said...

    You make the recipe...Let us know if it really works when made by a beginner without supervision..
    Then I will attempt it.

    My hubby and I love Alfredo. :)

    Amber said...

    Yummy! Sounds like a fun enrichment. Your ward has all the fun!

    Kelli said...

    It's fun to cook sometimes...but it is also nice to just pull out the Mac n cheese. I can't cook every night and I don't think anybody should have to.

    The alfredo seems super yummy and I will eat the shrimp with you next time.

    Kalli Ko said...

    this sounds DELISH

    I wish I were a master chef, I really do, cooking can be so fun.

    grannybabs said...

    I was just at a church welfare meeting tonight where they emphasized how important it was to teach women to cook from scratch.

    Don't you feel smart?? (and you are - many from scratch things are truly easier than going to the store and buying the boxes.)

    Laura said...

    Mmm food! sounds delish. and thanks for the reminder that i need to go have a bite to eat. gotta love lunch time.

    Lyf2.0 said...

    Ummmm.... Fredo sauce...

    Stephanie said...

    Those sound delicious... I am dreaming of shrimp scampi now.