Custom Search

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, March 07, 2006

    No, I'm from North Carolina

    A funny story about a girl in Emma's class.

    So I volunteer in Emma's class 2 times a week, and a few weeks ago, a new girl named Brianna transfers into her class. The teacher tells me I need to work with her because she is from Italy and speaks very little English. I'm up to the challenge, so I take her out in the hall one day, and start asking her questions. No reply. I'm thinking she totally doesn't understand me, so I just keep talking. Blah blah blah. She keeps staring at me with this blank expression. So I finally say, "I hear you're from Italy. I went there on vacation once. It's very beautiful. Do you miss it?" Suddenly she sits straight up and says "No, I'm from North Carolina" in perfect English. Apparently she's not FROM Italy, but she's been there a few times to see her grandparents. The teacher just heard it wrong. She speaks perfect English, but is very shy, and won't speak up in class. Good thing she did, or we all would have thought she was Italian all this time!

    1 Response(s):

    bonny with a Y said...

    ha ha - that was a good story.

    I like working in my kids classes, although i don't get in twice a week, I'm lucky if I get in there twice a month.