Custom Search

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, January 18, 2006

    I've entered the 21st century!




    I just took a big step. I went from a 1990's-esqe phone to a new BlackBerry. Or as my friends that all have one like to refer to them, a CrackBerry, because they're so addicting. I'm quite stoked about my new toy. It has all the cool stuff that techno geeks fear, email, IM, text messaging, calendar, and applications like excel and word (which will be coming soon since I had to get the special Mac version). So now I feel cool. At least for today. My thumbs already hurt from typing emails on it. I guess I'll have to get them callused up.

    2 Response(s):

    Mike said...

    CNN posted an article yesterday talking about how the BlackBerry service might be shut down.

    ***********

    Setback for BlackBerry maker

    High court rejects Research in Motion petition to review ruling that could shut e-mail service.

    NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - BlackBerry maker Research in Motion was dealt a setback Monday after the Supreme Court turned down a request to review a major patent infringement ruling against it.

    The move takes away yet another barrier between BlackBerry users and service interruptions. There are more than 4 million users of the BlackBerry e-mail service.

    Research In Motion (RIM) had petitioned the Supreme Court to review a federal appeals court ruling that could lead to a shutdown of most U.S. BlackBerry sales and service.

    The High Court's decision puts NTP's damages award and request for a permanent injunction back in front of the district court, said Jonathan Caplan, a partner in the intellectual property department at Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel.

    The legal issue confronting RIM goes back five years. In 2001, NTP, a patent holding company, filed a suit against RIM claiming that the BlackBerry infringed on its patents. A jury found in favor of NTP and awarded the company damages. Last year, RIM and NTP reached a tentative $450 million settlement, but the deal fell apart.

    ...But analysts said the Supreme Court decision wasn't surprising and that a blackout of the BlackBerry service is unlikely, even if an injunction is issued. That's partly because RIM has been preparing a contingency plan.

    "Not much has changed from yesterday to today," Rob Sanderson, an analyst with American Technology Research, said. He expects RIM to either settle with NTP or implement design changes to its system if faced with an injunction.

    ***********

    I'd hold on to your receipt.

    Keli said...

    Yeah, I talked to my neighbor that sold me the phone, and their RIM reps were there yesterday talking about it. It looks like they are planning to pay the company with the patents the original 8.77% on top of the 5% they have already paid in exchange for use of their patent. So hopefully my service won't be interrupted.